Monday, May 14, 2012

It’s been a Year


I have thought and thought about what to say today.  It’s been a year since having Kevin change to the gluten free diet.  We have had our ups and our downs.  It’s been a huge learning experience for me and the outer reaches of my family.  Yesterday we went to my sister’s house for Mother’s Day.  I do believe that is the first holiday event in a very long time that I was able to really relax at.  Kevin was so wonderful all day long.   My sister fixed a Gluten Free Brunch, so I didn’t have to worry about what Kevin could eat and what he couldn’t eat.  Thanks Sis!  That meant a lot to me.
It’s been a rough year for us, but I truly believe it was worth it.  Will I continue this diet with Kevin? Yes!  My goal was to help him with his agitation issues he has every summer.  It worked.  I didn’t have to call his doctor once during the whole summer for help.  I have never felt that Kevin would be cured of autism with this diet, but there have been improvements.  If I had started this diet when he was much younger then maybe things may have been different for him, but I don’t sit around thinking about what might have been.  What’s in the past is in the past.  I always worry about today and all the tomorrows to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment