Thursday, June 12, 2014

Kevin's Weighted Vest

I know it's been awhile since I've done any blogging.  For the most part it's been due to changes Kevin has gone through with his medications and thanks to his Aunt Carol he has something new to help him cope with those rough moments that really don't require extra medication.  She bought him a Weighted Vest.  I can't thank her enough, because this thing has been a wonder.


Home made weighted vest at school




Kevin using the weighted vest at school



Kevin's new weighted vest at home


For years I would hear about weighted blankets, but I never saw one myself or understood how they worked.  Well, after finding that they had a weighted vest at school and Thank to the parent that made it who ever you are. It seemed to be helping Kevin to cope until we could figure out what was going on with him I decided to do a little investigating.  How do they work? Good question and I'm not sure I can fully explain it to you, but I'll try.

We all have sensory receptors and while researching this I came across the term Deep Touch Receptors.  The weighted blanket or vest gives a person that deep pressure that's needed to help a person to relax. Such as a hug, but a hug is too brief to do the trick.  It needs time to work. One web site suggested wearing the vest for 20 minutes and taking it off for another 20 minutes. Most of those that I know that use these items they keep them on for however long they feel they need it.  For Kevin it's the same way.  After he's settled and he stays that way for a while I ask him if he's ready to take it off.  His is easy to put on and take off, but he needs a little help with the buttons.  It's been a great tool to have at home and at school.  Yesterday for example was one of those days he just seemed to struggle on and off all day and I should have put it on him sooner than I did.  It might have made a difference in how the whole day was for him. Did I want to kick myself for not doing it sooner. Yes, but I'm only human. Today is a much better day and hopefully he can get through the day without it but it's there if he needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment