Friday, May 20, 2011

Gluten-Free Croutons for Kevin

We like to eat salads at our house and the first thing to disappear is the croutons.  Unfortunately Kevin couldn’t eat the croutons anymore and his salad looked lost without them.  I started searching for a gluten free recipe for croutons.  Let me tell you there are a lot of recipes out there for gluten free foods and I had no problem finding some for Kevin.  Most were cooked on the stove in oil and I’ve never had any luck with making regular croutons like that.  Yes, I like cooking. That would surprise a few people I think.  Anyway, I found one that you bake in the oven and thought let’s give that one a try.  Oh man they were good!  I’d give you the link for the recipe, but I had to tweak it a little.  I have to warn you I didn’t measure, but this is close to what I did for the gluten free croutons.

Preheat oven to 275⁰
Cut 4 slices of Gluten Free into cubes (I use ends, too)
1/3 cup of Olive Oil
1 or 1 ½ tsp of Italian seasoning
2 tsp of Parmesan Grated Cheese (I use Kraft)

Cut the bread into cubes and place in a bowl.  In my measuring cup I mix the olive oil, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.  Pour this over the cubes making sure to coat the cubes really good with the oil.  Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.  Turn off oven and let them sit in the oven for 30 minutes.  Take them out, let them cool and then seal them in an air tight container.
Hope you enjoy these.  I know Kevin and I love them.

1 comment: