Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Mistakes, Trails and Tribulations

Mistakes, trials and tribulations are the only words that come to mind for the past couple of days.  Saturday Kevin had a meltdown.  One of the worst ones he’s had in a long time.  It took a while but my brother and I got him through it, but I needed to know or understand why it happened.  I hate just saying it’s his Autism when there was nothing different for him that day.  Usually I can find a reason if I look hard enough, so Sunday morning I did some more research.  Everything I have been reading has been based on Celiac Disease and trying to understand gluten.  Not a lot of the Autism & Gluten issues are covered in the book I have.  I found a book for Autism and ADHD going gluten free and discovered that I was suppose to remove the gluten slowly.  You treat it like an addiction which was my mistake again.  I had read about the addiction in the book I have, but never thought about how fast I was removing the gluten from his diet.  So, the trails on Sunday were giving him pancakes with gluten.  It was unreal.  All day long he was fine.  Monday rolls around and he had no gluten all morning.  Around 1:30 that afternoon he started to have another meltdown.  I saw it coming and gave him his medicine a little early.  Unfortunately, it wasn’t going to get into his system in time to help him, so I gave him a handful of croutons with gluten.  Before I knew it he was his normal self.  Again today at the same time he was starting to go downhill.  I gave him only 3 croutons and so far he’s been able to manage with just those 3 croutons.  I guess that’s my tribulation.  What I don’t want is for him to figure out that if he has a meltdown he’ll get gluten.  Tomorrow I’m going to try to give him his afternoon medicine an hour early and see if we can get by with just a little gluten on Friday.  Keeping my fingers crossed.   The good news is I just found out that Kevin can start with his Respite worker any day now and she just happens to be his teacher.  So, we’re going to sit down, go over the calendar and see what days she has available to work with Kevin this summer.  One prayer has been answered.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment