Friday, January 20, 2012

Cooking from Scratch


For those of you that are new to Gluten Free cooking think of it as cooking from scratch just like your Grandmother did years ago. Ok, well maybe like my Grandmother. Some of you are much younger than I am. Last night I had a hard time going to sleep, so when I went out to the kitchen for a drink of water I saw my Grandmother’s cookbook. I enjoy picking it up once in awhile and browsing through it. It just reminds me of how to really cook. People today don’t truly cook at all. Everything can be bought in the stores pre-made or pre-measured. I personally know of one woman who truly cooks from scratch that is not on any diets. That’s just how she likes to cook and she learned it all from her husband’s grandmother. She will admit to this day that she had no clue as to how to cook until his grandmother taught her how.

The breads we make are a totally different bird from wheat bread. It’s like comparing a turkey to an ostrich both are birds, but very different. Gluten Free bread is heavier than wheat bread. Cakes are also heavier, but can be just as delicious as a cake made with wheat flour. Don’t give up on trying. What doesn’t come out right can be used for bread crumbs and croutons. Just throw them in the freezer until you’re ready to use it for that. I have no intentions of giving up myself. At least we can say we are trying to help ourselves or our children live a healthier life. There are going to be critics of your breads and cakes. So what! If they haven’t tried to make it themselves then the comments are not worth my time. I only prefer advice from those who have been there and done that. Last piece of advice is this; don’t criticize those that don’t cook from scratch. It takes a lot of time in the day to cook from scratch and most people don’t have the time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment