Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Artane

We’re adding a new drug. I’m torn up over this, but I don’t know what else to do for Kevin at this time. Here’s a small amount of information on Artane from: http://www.drugs.com/mtm/artane.html

What is Artane (trihexyphenidyl)?

Trihexyphenidyl alters unusual nerve impulses and relaxes stiff muscles.

Trihexyphenidyl is used to treat the stiffness, tremors, spasms, and poor muscle control of Parkinson's disease. It is also used to treat and prevent the same muscular conditions when they are caused by drugs such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), perphenazine (Trilafon), haloperidol (Haldol), thiothixene (Navane), and others.

Trihexyphenidyl may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

I just read that one of the side effects is dry mouth. Here we go again with excessive drinking. Another side effect is decreased sweating, so you have to be careful not to get over heated. As you can guess I’m not thrilled about starting a new medication with Kevin. The reason for the new medication is called Tardive Dystonia. It happens with medications that are dopamine blockers or neurotransmitters. Kevin seems to be able to handle Risperdal for 2 years only and in the past we have switched him to another medication. Unfortunately, those medications didn’t last long with him, which means that there is nothing to switch him to anymore. My biggest wish is to take him off the Risperdal, but we have no idea if he can do that one at all. Right now his nerves are as fried as mine and I’m just going to do what I can to get him back to where he can go back to school. He misses school that I do know, so it now Prozac, Ativan, Risperdal and Artane. I pick up the new medication later today, so prayers are needed that this helps him.

1 comment:

  1. I have some concerns that Artane is not gluten free. Kevin's Mom

    ReplyDelete