Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Happy Dance

I’m doing the happy dance! It may be too soon, but I’m still doing it. If you’ll remember a couple of weeks ago I had to add ½ a Risperdal back into Kevin’s daily medications. The reason I did was because of two things. He was still having issues with the sugar imbalance and there were a few Mom’s in my discussion group that had problems for 2 months with their child after a gluten infraction. After looking over the calendar I realized that it had only been a little over a month and half since that happened. So, for 2 weeks I had Kevin on the high dose of Risperdal. I never had intentions of leaving him at that dosage either, so after the two weeks were up I started reducing it again. It’s only been 1 week mind you, but his teacher called today to say he was such a happy young man this morning. I also went a step farther and took out 1 Prozac every other day for a week. Prozac is one of those meds that you have to go very slow with when reducing it. My goal is to just take out the one for now and leave him at the 2 Prozac a day for a while. During this past week I noticed that on the days he got the 3 Prozac’s he was very tense and clucking his hand tighter than on the days he didn’t get the one dose, so today was his first day of missing the morning dose of Prozac two days in a row. I didn’t realize I’d been holding my breath all morning waiting for that phone call that he was stemming way too much today. It didn’t happen! It was the opposite. As for the sugar issue he doesn’t seem to be as bad as he was with it, since the medication changes. I do think he is sensitive to his sugar dropping just a very small amount, so I still do the 3 meals with the snacks in-between those meals just to help him stay balanced. When I do the snacks I try to make sure he has a balance between the Carbohydrates and Proteins. It not easy, it’s expensive, but it seems to be helping.

No comments:

Post a Comment